I Gusti Ngurah Rai ( Desa Carangsari, Kabupaten Badung , Bali ,– Marga , Tabanan ,) is a National Hero of Indonesia . Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the Indonesian Armed Forces in Bali against the Dutch during the Indonesian War of Independence , he was killed in the Battle of Margarana.
Ngurah Rai is born in the Desa of Carangsari, Kabupaten Badung in Bali on. He studied at the Dutch elementary school and then at the college of Malang , East Java . He then follows Dutch military training at the Cadet Military School in Gianyar , Bali and Magelang , Central Java . After graduating, he joined the Dutch army as a second lieutenant in Bali 1 , 2 .
After the proclamation of Indonesian independence , he created the People’s Security Army, precursor of the Indonesian Armed Forces for the small islands of Sunda . He then leaves for Yogyakarta , the capital of the Republic, to receive orders before returning to Bali to oppose about 2,000 Dutch soldiers who had landed the 2 and2 .
Ngurah Rai finds divided Republican forces and strives to bring them together. He then organized the first attack against the Dutch forces headquarters in Tabanan . The Dutch are trying to locate the Ngurah Rai base and are proposing negotiations that it refuses.
The , the Dutch launch a major attack on Marga with the help of Lombok’s troops and support from the air force. Lieutenant-Colonel Ngurah Rai orders a puputan (fight to the death) in which he dies with all his soldiers 3 , 1 . The battle is known as the Battle of Margarana 1 .
Funeral and status of national hero
Ngurah Rai is buried in Marga. The, he is declared a national hero by presidential decision no. 063 / TK / TH 1975 1 . His name is given to the Denpasar International Airport in Bali and appears on the tickets of 50,000 Indonesian rupiah .
- ( id ) Mutiara Sumber Widya (publisher, 1999) Pahlawan Bangsa Album (Album of National Heroes) , Jakarta (Indonesia)
- Robert Pringle , Bali: Indonesia’s Hindu Realm; A short history of , Allen & Unwin , al. “Short History of Asia Series”, ( ISBN 1-86508-863-3 )
- ( id ) Sudarmanto, YB (1996) Jejak-Jejak Pahlawan dari Sultan Agung hingga Syekh Yusuf , Penerbit Grasindo, Jakarta (Indonesia) ( ISBN 979-553-111-5 )
Notes and references
- ( In ) This article is partially or entirely from the Wikipedia article in English entitled ” I Gusti Ngurah Rai ” ( see the list of authors ) .
- ↑ a , b , c and d Mutiara Sumber Widya (1999) p. 89
- ↑ a and b Sudarmanto (1996) p. 205
- ↑ Pringle, p 161